The Seasoned Spoon is Hiring!
The Seasoned Spoon is a not-for-profit cooperative café that serves locally-grown, organic food at Trent University. We're looking to hire both student and non-student staff.
Position open to all
Job Title: Education and Outreach Coordinator
Please see the full posting here.
Positions open to students
We are looking for TWSP eligible students or International students to work in our café starting in September 2022. Our staff work on average 6 hours/week while classes are in session. We currently have two positions open: Kitchen Staff and Baker – see job descriptions below.
Application Deadline for both positions: Wednesday, August 24 at noon.
Please confirm in your cover letter that you are either:
1) TWSP eligible. Not sure? Find out more here.
2) That you meet the eligibility requirements to work on campus as an International student, which are:
-You are registered as a full-time or approved part-time international student at Trent University
-You have your study permit which indicates that you are allowed to work on- or off- campus
-You have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) by the first day of work (Sept 7th)
Apply by sending a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Kitchen Staff
Our Ideal Candidate:
1. Is responsible for assisting with all day-to-day operations of the café, including opening and closing procedures, operating the cash register, serving food, customer service, food preparation, adhering to safe food handling procedures, washing dishes and general cleaning and café upkeep.
2. Has the ability to receive and follow through on instructions.
3. Ensures a quality product by following set recipes and/or cooking techniques.
4. Takes initiative and works well with others.
5. Has good attention to detail and the ability to keep a clean work space.
6. Maintains good communication with the Spoon Director, Kitchen Manager and other staff.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Kitchen and/or food service experience.
2. Experience working in fast paced environments, ability to move and work quickly.
3. Experience cooking seasonal, vegetarian food.
4. Interest in food, environment and social justice issues.
5. Knowledge of Seasoned Spoon mandate and structure an asset.
6. Punctual, reliable, organized, and self-directed.
7. Strong communication skills.
8. The ability to work harmoniously as part of a large team.
9. Food handler's certificate is mandatory (or willingness to obtain prior to starting).
Job Title: Baker
This is a self-directed position, and most work will be done alone, after-hours, so we are particularly looking for someone who is punctual, reliable, organized, and possesses strong communication skills. This position may include a shift in café.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is responsible for menu planning, costing, keeping track of baking inventory, some customer service, washing dishes, and adhering to safe food handling procedures.
- Has the ability to receive and follow through on instructions.
- Ensures a quality product by following set recipes and/or cooking techniques.
- Takes initiative and works well with others.
- Has good attention to detail and the ability to keep a clean work space.
- Maintains good communication with the Spoon Director, Head Cook and other staff.
- Is able to oversee, direct, and give feedback to volunteers.
- Has a good sense of aesthetics and product quality control.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Baking experience, whether in a commercial setting or at home.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience cooking seasonal, vegetarian, gluten-free food.
- Knowledge of Seasoned Spoon mandate and structure an asset.
- Food Handlers Certificate (or willingness to obtain prior to beginning work).
- Punctual, reliable, organized, and possessing strong communication skills.
- The ability to work harmoniously as part of a large team.
If you require more information, contact email@example.com
*While we appreciate your interest in these positions, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
The Seasoned Spoon is located in Nogojiwanong (Peterborough ON). We recognize that this is the traditional territory and ongoing treaty lands of the Michi Saagiig Nishnaabeg including the First Nations of Alderville, Hiawatha, Scugog Island, and Curve Lake. In keeping with the Inclusivity Statement included in our ByLaws (I.3) we welcome the contributions that individuals from various communities bring to our organization, and invites First Nations, Inuit and Metis people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, transgendered people, transsexual people, intersexed people, working-class people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to become involved with the organization.